BON4Micro2
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Farming On PDQ
This will be my last post on PDQ, so I don't give a monkey's what people will say about me. One of the things that does surprise me is, this forum doesn't have any rules. A few years back I was Global Moderator on a forum, the first thing I said to the owner when we were setting up the forum was, it has to have a set of rules. Or in our case a Code of Conduct. Rules are written for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

One of the things I didn't tolerate was post farming so the owner and I agreed this would be added to the Code of Conduct. On forums, any topic in which people post for the sake of increasing their post count, post farms often go unnoticed as people will post something which looks like they have something to say on the subject even though they are saying the same thing as everyone else. Post farming is obvious and harms your credibility.

There is a member on PDQ who is actively post farming.  This member joined on 02-10-2020 and has accumulated a total post count of 2,283 in the space of five months. Compare this with another member who I have respect for who joined on 05-28-2016 who has accrued a post count of 2,486. To this member, your post count may have gone unnoticed, but I know of one other member who feels the same way as I do.
I am sorry you feel that way Tiffany. I should point out at the outset that 02-10-2020 is an American format and so refers on 10th February rather than 2nd October (which I assume is where five months came from. 

I accept that my post count is unusually high compared with the amount of time represented but you would find I think that the great majority of those posts occurred in the first six to eight months (which I put down to a combination of enthusiasm, interest in what others had to say and having new things to say myself) since which time I have made a conscious effort to comment on those threads to which I feel I may be able to contribute.
Tiffany, I have yet to see anyone 'post farming' though I have seen some members who are much more active than others. While I take the time to skim through and read on a regular basis, I have yet to see someone who really doesn't contribute. I am one who is not very active, and was much more so when I first joined up. We do actively watch for spam and other bots showing up, and those who get mean, nasty, or stalkers are removed often before many members know they were here.

Oftentimes, we have people complaining about the small community and lack of people responding to posts, and threatening to leave because they feel nobody is reading the posts or caring about them. There must be a middle ground where we can get people in this limited community can show recognition for someone's post, but at the same time not be 'post farming'.
Tiffany, it will be sad space if if you leave; however, I respect your decision.

I love the enthusiasm Girlygirl has, I find the posts to be very contributory to discussions.

I joined about the same time and read everybody’s thread and reply. I nearly always have something to say but find putting it into words difficult, so don’t always post a reply in a thread.
I think that every forum has had issues like this. Some posters are over active, some are active and some are inactive. I don't think it matters. I look at every post, but often just skim or skip over the ones that don't interest me. Some people react to my posts and most don't and that's perfectly normal and acceptable. If someone is "post farming" to attract attention, I look at that with amusement. If that's what they need to be happy, they are more to be pitied than scorned. If you see your self worth measured by the number of stars under your name, it's time to do a little introspection. If you don't like their posts, skip over them.

Frankly, the whole world needs to relax more and stop looking for things to complain about.
Right on Cindy.
(03-24-2021, 11:10 PM)Cindy Wrote: I think that every forum has had issues like this. Some posters are over active, some are active and some are inactive. I don't think it matters. I look at every post, but often just skim or skip over the ones that don't interest me. Some people react to my posts and most don't and that's perfectly normal and acceptable. If someone is "post farming" to attract attention, I look at that with amusement. If that's what they need to be happy, they are more to be pitied than scorned. If you see your self worth measured by the number of stars under your name, it's time to do a little introspection.  If you don't like their posts, skip over them.

Frankly, the whole world needs to relax more and stop looking for things to complain about.
I agree Cindy with you.The short time I have been hear l feel in most cases ,their has not been enough posts.I think if a person posts and a person answers my posts,l feel it is polite to answer them back whether I agree with them or not. Just because I am strict does not mean I can't respond to them,even though I might scold them in my own way. The more posts the better lurkers need to get involved. You make excellent points on all your posts.  Ms Mommy L
Every member has the right to post in the forum . They can almost say anything they like . Abusive posts will be deleted and the poster banned post haste . I try to delete spammers before anyone else clicks on a phishing or trojan link .
If someone has a lot to say or make valid and fair posts of their own . Fine then . I don't like it when people complain about someone else's posts that make them feel jealous at another poster for thinking that they are too popular .
Angel A little bit of hanky panky does you good .  Angel