ande.banner
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
True Heroines
Past or present, which ladies inspire you or do you look up to?  And why?
Always in strict uniform
As a small boy I often visited an auntie that 'mothered' me. She lived alone. I stayed with her many times up until the age of about 12. She passed away when I was 15. She taught me to sew, cook, clean, cross stitch etc etc etc. She never had running water in her house but even so she had a bedroom that had been converted to a bathroom. Just a big bath in the centre of the room without any plumbing. We carried water in to the bath from outside. She bathed me and added scent to the water. It was wonderful.
Some days she would dress me up, not in girls cloths, and we would go out for high tea to nearby friends or relatives. I had, and still have, long blonde hair that everyone swooned over. I guess now I would be known as a pansy boy.

Magic years. I have her photo by our tv set. Our daughter was named after her. She is my hero/heroine. She knew who/what I was. Her instinct molded the rest of my life.
It sounds like she was a great role model and influence, Belinda.

For me it would have to be my mother - for many reasons but specifically where this forum is concerned, because without her treatment (which I have only truly come to appreciate retrospectively), I would not be living the lifestyle that I am today. 

More generally I respect anyone involved in the movement of encouraging males to express their femininity as for those who would like to, it is a taboo that is a taboo far too long in being quashed and for many of those who have no desire to, they would nevertheless benefit from it and in many cases take enjoyment from it when they had engaged with it.
My fault for not making it clear but I kind of meant famous people. Who are your idols?
Always in strict uniform
I can come at this from a couple of angles:

Emmeline Pankhurst would be an example of a female admirable for what she did in being amongst the first to give real power to women (in the U.K. at least).

In terms of a female I would like to emulate as a ‘Born Again Female’ myself, I would be looking at Karen Holness in her role of ‘Good Witch of the North’ in ‘The Wizard of Oz’ for being the very essence of femininity.
A remarkable woman for her time in history was Hypatia. There is a film about her called "Agora" but a brief history has been copied below:

Written by Ginny Adair, Class of 1998 (Agnes Scott College)

The life of Hypatia was one enriched with a passion for knowledge. Hypatia was the daughter of Theon, who was considered one of the most educated men in Alexandria, Egypt. Theon raised Hypatia in a world of education. Most historians now recognize Hypatia not only as a mathematician and scientist, but also as a philosopher.

Historians are uncertain of different aspects of Hypatia's life. For example, Hypatia's date of birth is one that is highly debated. Some historians believe that Hypatia was born in the year 370 AD. On the other hand, others argue that she was an older woman (around 60) at the time of her death, thus making her birth in the year 355 AD.

Throughout her childhood, Theon raised Hypatia in an environment of thought. Historians believe that Theon tried to raise the perfect human. Theon himself was a well known scholar and a professor of mathematics at the University of Alexandria. Theon and Hypatia formed a strong bond as he taught Hypatia his own knowledge and shared his passion in the search for answers to the unknown. As Hypatia grew older, she began to develop an enthusiasm for mathematics and the sciences (astronomy and astrology).

Most historians believe that Hypatia surpassed her father's knowledge at a young age. However, while Hypatia was still under her father's discipline, he also developed for her a physical routine to ensure for her a healthy body as well as a highly functional mind. In her education, Theon instructed Hypatia on the different religions of the world and taught her how to influence people with the power of words. He taught her the fundamentals of teaching, so that Hypatia became a profound orator. People from other cities came to study and learn from her.

Hypatia's studies included astronomy, astrology, and mathematics. References in letters by Synesius, one of Hypatia's students, credit Hypatia with the invention of the astrolabe, a device used in studying astronomy. However, other sources date this instrument back at least a century earlier. Claudius Ptolemy wrote extensively on the projection used on the plane astrolabe, and Hypatia's father wrote an astrolabe treatise that was the basis for much of what was written later in the Middle Ages. Hypatia did teach about astrolabes as Synesius had an instrument made that was arguably a form of astrolabe.

Hypatia was known more for the work she did in mathematics than in astronomy, primarily for her work on the ideas of conic sections introduced by Apollonius. She edited the work On the Conics of Apollonius, which divided cones into different parts by a plane. This concept developed the ideas of hyperbolas, parabolas, and ellipses. With Hypatia's work on this important book, she made the concepts easier to understand, thus making the work survive through many centuries. Hypatia was the first woman to have such a profound impact on the survival of early thought in mathematics.

Hypatia lived in Alexandria when Christianity started to dominate over the other religions. In the early 390's, riots broke out frequently between the different religions. Cyril, a leader among the Christians, and Orestes, the civil governor, opposed each other. Hypatia was a friend of Orestes and it is believed that Cyril spread virulent rumors about her. In 415 AD, on Hypatia's way home, a mob attacked her, stripped her and killed her with pieces of broken pottery. Later, the mob dragged her through the streets.

Hypatia's life ended tragically, however her life's work remained. Later, Descartes, Newton, and Leibniz expanded on her work. Hypatia made extraordinary accomplishments for a woman in her time. Philosophers considered her a woman of great knowledge and an excellent teacher.

December, 1995
Thanks for educating me, David. I must admit she is not someone I had heard of but it certainly sounds as though she was ahead of her time and a worthwhile role model.
(09-27-2020, 02:15 PM)Girlygirl Wrote: Thanks for educating me, David. I must admit she is not someone I had heard of but it certainly sounds as though she was ahead of her time and a worthwhile role model.

Some other Ladies of note from ancient history:

Agnodice of Athens
Born into a wealthy Athenian family, Agnodice (c. 4th century BCE) was actually the first female midwife known to history. Her story is told by Roman author Gaius Julius Hyginus, who recounts that she studied medicine under Herophilus disguised as a man, as women were not allowed to practice medicine. She started practicing in Athens still disguised as a man, and specialized in helping women during labor, as men often refused to do this. In one instance she had to reveal to a patient that she was a woman in order to proceed. Jealous of her success among women, her male colleagues accused her of seducing women. She was even tried, and defended by the wives of leading statesmen of Athens, she was acquitted. Thanks to her, the law against female physicians practicing in Athens was overturned.

Arete of Cyrene
Daughter of Aristippus of Cyrene in modern-day Libya, Arete (5th–4th century BCE) is known as the first female philosopher. She learned this from her father, a former student of Socrates, and passed teachings on to her son, Aristippus the Younger. It is said that she took over the School of Cyrene after her father’s death. While none of her teachings have survived, she is mentioned by several historians and philosophers, including Diogenes Laërtius, Aelius, Clement of Alexandria and Aristocles.
Aspasia of Miletus
Born in Miletus in Asia Minor, Aspasia (470-410 BCE) was an important figure in Classical Athens. While few sources can tell us how she immigrated to the city state, she was known as the partner of Pericles, a local statesman, and mother of Pericles the Younger. Plutarch recounts that her home in Athens was an intellectual center, where prominent writers and thinkers regularly gathered. She is said to have established a girls’ school, surpassing the limitations imposed on women.

Hipparchia of Marneia
Hipparchia of Marneia (c. 325 BCE) moved to Athens with her family, where she met Crates of Thebes, the most notorious Cynic philosopher of the time. Attracted by the simplicity of the Cynic lifestyle, she fell in love with him. Despite her parents’ disapproval, she married Crates and they lived in austerity and poverty on the streets of Athens, according to Cynic beliefs. After his death, Hipparchia is said to have written many works, which unfortunately have been lost. However, she is the sole female philosopher included in Diogenes Laërtius’s work, alongside Plato and Socrates.

Hydna of Scione
Taught by her father Scyllis of Scione, Hydna (c. 500 BCE) was one of the top swimmers and divers of her time. During the Persian invasion in Salamis in 480 BCE, she and her father swam until they reached the Persian fleet and cut their moorings, causing the ships to drift and crash into each other and even sink. This allowed the Greek naval forces to prepare for battle and eventually defeat the Persians. To thank them for this heroic gesture, statues of Hydna and her father were erected in Delphi.

Telesilla of Argos
A native of Argos, Telesilla (c. 510 BCE), was a prominent lyric poet, considered one of the nine Female Lyric Poets of Greece by Antipater of Thesalonike. As she was constantly sick as a young woman, she consulted an oracle, who told her to dedicate her life to the Muses. She studied music and poetry and was quickly healed. She became an influential poet, but also gained fame by pushing the Spartan forces away from her hometown. King Cleomenes of Sparta defeated the Argive soldiers in the Battle of Sepeia, but when the Spartans were ready to take the city they found that Telesilla had gathered and armed the women, slaves and remaining men of the city. The makeshift army fought so valiantly that the Spartans fled.
Dolly Parton for her f@#$# you attitude. She's feminine but takes no crap from anyone. She's up front about her past. She hasn't tried to hide who she is like most Hollywood folks.
(09-28-2020, 12:53 AM)belinda_t Wrote: Dolly Parton for her f@#$# you attitude. She's feminine but takes no crap from anyone. She's up front about her past. She hasn't tried to hide who she is like most Hollywood folks.

I agree. She's also smart enough to keep her personal political opinions private. She's a winner.

I love roller coasters and Dollywood is on my list!