BON4Micro2
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question
A long term couple, who have both been life long vegetarians, have a child.

Do you feel it is right that they bring up their child as a vegetarian too?
Always in strict uniform
So long as a child’s needs are being cared for (and any nutritional value that is otherwise primarily consumed in meat is being consumed via another fashion) I don’t really see that there’s a problem. Parents impose all sorts of moral values on their children and generally what happens is that when they become old enough to acquire critical thinking skills, they determine which values they think are worth adhering to.
At what age would the child be considered old enough to decide for themselves then?
Always in strict uniform
(09-08-2020, 12:33 AM)rubberpinafore Wrote: At what age would the child be considered old enough to decide for themselves then?
To some extent it would happen naturally. As a child grows up and becomes more independent, the parent generally finds themselves with less control anyway. 

For instance when the child goes to school (particularly high school) the parent won’t be there to control what the child eats. Likewise, at birthday parties, the parent isn’t going to be there holding the child’s hand as much as they grow up. 

Ultimately, putting an exact age on it would be futile as even if the parents were to offer a child this decision, it would vary by culture and household (for instance, in households devoted to some cultures and religions, shunning vegetarianism, would also be to reject that culture or religion) but generally when they are independent enough and therefore are met with the opportunities to do so.
It happens all the time. Can't see what the point of your question is, frankly. Big deal, someone doesn't eat meat and they bring their kid up the same. Same as meat eaters raising their kids to eat meat. (Except they usually don't make a point of self-describing as 'meat eaters').
Or those of a religious bent sending their kids off to a school that matches their beliefs.
Every vegetarian I know - and I know many - knows they need to find alternative sources of protein if they aren't eating animal flesh.
Know thy self, sissy.  Don't whine, don't pine, learn to expand your mind.   
(09-08-2020, 08:33 AM)sissysoft Wrote: Can't see what the point of your question is, frankly.

Simply to gauge what people thought of indoctrination.  I deliberately didn't mention the religious example as it's a subject that is frowned upon here, but that is just the same thing.

Obviously no conclusions can be drawn at this stage as we only have two responses so far.
Always in strict uniform
(09-07-2020, 12:12 AM)rubberpinafore Wrote: A long term couple, who have both been life long vegetarians, have a child.

Does it really matter what I feel?  Not being the child's parent, would my opinion even count?  Any more than those parents' opinions apropos dietary practices in my own household?  ...or religious practices, either, for that matter.  Unwarranted intrusion into other people's parenting has to be the Eighth Deadly Sin.  

American advice columnist Ann Landers used to frequently cite her 11th Commandment: MYOB! It was always good advice.  Still is.  

And where is the relevance to petticoating, anyhow?  Unless maybe the vegetarian parents were forcing the meat-hungry child to wear a dress made from flank steak, a la Lady Gaga at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, as a punishment for its carnivorous cravings.  That would be rotten, indeed, after a while.  
(09-12-2020, 03:40 PM)mikki Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 12:12 AM)rubberpinafore Wrote: A long term couple, who have both been life long vegetarians, have a child.

Does it really matter what I feel?  Not being the child's parent, would my opinion even count?  Any more than those parents' opinions apropos dietary practices in my own household?  ...or religious practices, either, for that matter.  Unwarranted intrusion into other people's parenting has to be the Eighth Deadly Sin.  

American advice columnist Ann Landers used to frequently cite her 11th Commandment: MYOB! It was always good advice.  Still is.  

And where is the relevance to petticoating, anyhow?  Unless maybe the vegetarian parents were forcing the meat-hungry child to wear a dress made from flank steak, a la Lady Gaga at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, as a punishment for its carnivorous cravings.  That would be rotten, indeed, after a while.  

Opinions are what make forums.  Discussions lead to interaction and interesting debates, often to new ideas and shared experiences.  Without opinion forums stagnate and die.  Why else do people visit here?  Nor am I sure of how my fictitious question poses any kind of intrusion?  How have you drawn this conclusion?

Anyway, after reading your input I have to admit that your opinion matters not a jot to me but I do find it odd that if you felt this thread was so irrelevant why you chose to reply?  Simply ignore it. And if opinions are of such little value, why are you offering yours?

As to the relevance, I was leading up to a linking it to a very interesting thread about Liev Schrieber and Kai (https://petticoated.com/forum/showthread...hlight=kai).
Always in strict uniform
I think I can probably sense where this is going but just for the record, what do you sense the link between a child being brought up as vegetarian and a child choosing to transgender as being?

I can conceive of the possibility that there is a genetic disposition that has caused parent and child to both exert transgender preferences and am even sure that Kai has learned some skills and attitudes from Liev with respect to this.

A direct connection with this thread however would imply that Kai was brought up as transgender because of Liev’s own preferences which I am quite sure would be illegal and not something that I buy into (or have seen any evidence to back up).

Vegetarianism would better be compared with religion in that both a cultural factors, whereas sex is something that an individual is born with and gender and sexuality things that individuals identify with.
(09-14-2020, 04:55 AM)Girlygirl Wrote: I think I can probably sense where this is going but just for the record, what do you sense the link between a child being brought up as vegetarian and a child choosing to transgender as being?

I can conceive of the possibility that there is a genetic disposition that has caused parent and child to both exert transgender preferences and am even sure that Kai has learned some skills and attitudes from Liev with respect to this.

A direct connection with this thread however would imply that Kai was brought up as transgender because of Liev’s own preferences which I am quite sure would be illegal and not something that I buy into (or have seen any evidence to back up).

Vegetarianism would better be compared with religion in that both a cultural factors, whereas sex is something that an individual is born with and gender and sexuality things that individuals identify with.

Judging by what you have posted above, I don't think you have sensed where this is going at all.  There is no link whatsoever between being a vegetarian and transgender, other than I am fairly sure a transgender person may wish to be a vegetarian and to a lesser degree, vice-versa, nor I am making that implication.

Neither am I linking the two threads as yet, because no one has posted any objective evidence in the original post over who has decided the child should appear in public dressed as (s)he is.  Is it the child's choice or the parents?  All we have are a couple of pictures of Kai and a lot of opinions.  These are not facts.  I'll be delighted to find out this is his/her choice but I do not take things at face value because of caption-less pictures.

But there  seem to be quite a number of assumptions made about Kai's appearance.  Just because (s)he is wearing a dress does it make him/her transgender or a cross dresser?  Or have I misunderstood the definition of "transgender"?  Don't forget I am from a different age.   Smile   

As an aside, I did look at the pictures on the link to Pinterest and they all (bar one) show the mother, Naomi, with her children.  Would it not seem logical that if any parent has influence, it would be her?  And why is that not illegal in the same way it could be if it were Liev's preferences?

My original question was simply a vehicle do determine who subscribes to indoctrination (I did make that more apparent later on in reply to SissySoft).  I chose a neutral subject as opposed to "religion", based on previous warnings that such a subject is taboo on here- although why, I still don't fully see.  I could also have asked a similar question about parents with racist or sexist beliefs passing on their views to their children but that could have been considered leading the topic in a certain direction which would not have been fair.

Anyway, this thread may not be to everyone's taste but it seems to have generated some interest and I for one have certainly enjoyed some healthy debate and understanding some of my fellow members a little better.
Always in strict uniform