ande.banner
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tabards
[Image: b090-white-tabard-alt.jpg]

As we have a mixed nationality on here, I wonder if everyone is familiar with this item?  I think it is quite a British thing and it is predominately worn by ladies either on its own, over an overall (as shown above) or under an apron.

I have to wear one as part of my daily uniform (as above with additional layers of aprons, cap and rubber gloves) but I detest the tabard as it is an entirely feminine article and not for men at all.  Perhaps I made an error in voicing my opinion as my wife delights in putting me in one and has ensured I wear one every day and even to bed.

I have a few questions.  Do you think it is a unisex garment?  Is my wife being reasonable in making me put one on?  Does anyone else wear one?  Should I have to wear it in public?  Should a tabard match the overall or contrast it in a different colour?
Always in strict uniform
You did not show a rear view for further comment.
The white portion is almost like a sleeveless tunic
but would be open and perhaps tied at the back ?
The navy portion is a plain ole dress of sorts ?

Feeling this would be found in café or place where food is served
and not so much as hospital gear.

Not something one would expect to see on the street as fashion wear.
If you were to wear this in the U.K. as just part of your day to day, I think most people would probably be thinking ‘what’s that he’s wearing’ as whilst it may or may not be designed for a female, it just isn’t an article that you see outside of certain settings (which I think BABYLOCK might be close to identifying). 

I can see that it might have a use in protecting other clothing (so if you were doing a dirty or messy job, you could use something like this) but other than that I would be inclined to ask what the purpose is of your wife wanting you to wear this rather than whether it is appropriate.
(08-06-2020, 05:00 AM)BABYLOCK Wrote: You did not show a rear view for further comment.
The white portion is almost like a sleeveless tunic
but would be open and perhaps tied at the back ?
The navy portion is a plain ole dress of sorts ?

Feeling this would be found in café or place where food is served
and not so much as hospital gear.

Not something one would expect to see on the street as fashion wear.

[Image: 102172-White-Tabard.jpg]

Sorry, I didn't describe that too well.  Essentially the back is identical to the front (without pockets) and both parts are fastened at the side either by ties, buttons or press studs.

In the UK the food industry certainly uses them, as do supermarkets, cleaners and most definitely in the medical business.  Nurses and dental staff for sure.

Above is the type I wear over my overall/under my aprons.

It is not a male garment whatsoever, in my opinion.

(08-06-2020, 06:24 AM)Girlygirl Wrote: If you were to wear this in the U.K. as just part of your day to day, I think most people would probably be thinking ‘what’s that he’s wearing’ as whilst it may or may not be designed for a female, it just isn’t an article that you see outside of certain settings (which I think BABYLOCK might be close to identifying). 

I can see that it might have a use in protecting other clothing (so if you were doing a dirty or messy job, you could use something like this) but other than that I would be inclined to ask what the purpose is of your wife wanting you to wear this rather than whether it is appropriate.

The purpose of wearing a tabard is indeed to keep your uniform clean and protect your dress/overall.

The reason my wife insists I wear one in addition to the above, is to humiliate me as she agrees it is an entirely feminine article.  The fact she knows I detest them is reason enough for her to put me through this daily humiliation.  She enjoys making me cringe.
Always in strict uniform
As to your question of whether you should wear it publicly (and with regard to what you have posted elsewhere regarding keeping things private) there is no real reason you shouldn’t as I’m not sure society as a whole sees it as female in the way that they would a bra or dress, and without any sort of context probably wouldn’t look twice. 

It really boils down to your own feelings on the subject, I guess.
(08-07-2020, 01:29 AM)Girlygirl Wrote: It really boils down to your own feelings on the subject, I guess.

I think that's what the problem is.  I really have yet to see any men wearing a tabard anywhere, it is always women and so I associate this garment with be feminine.

I have probably built this up to such an unrealistic extent which has turned this into a humiliating experience.

Which is quite probably why my wife loves to use a tabard to torture me- but of course she simply says it is very practical and helps to keep me uniform clean and presentable.

I can never win.
Always in strict uniform