ande.banner
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nappy Time

(07-12-2020, 01:47 PM)Andrew Jane Wrote:

Nice video, Andrew Jane

I do find myself wondering what it’s original purpose was, although it does nicely summarise the challenges of wearing nappies; as an occasional continent nappy wearer, I always know when it’s ‘nappy time’.
Thanks Andrew Jane, I smiled watching that video.
That is a cute video.
I wonder why the names “nappy” and “diaper” are different between European English speech and American English languages.
Ss
(07-12-2020, 05:18 PM)Salonslave Wrote: That is a cute video.
I wonder why the names “nappy” and “diaper” are different between European English speech and American English languages.
Ss

I would guess it amounts to regional dialect on a larger scale. See also trainers & sneakers, jelly & jello, jam & jelly.
Yea, like car trunk and boot or like hood and bonnet. Color and colour.
Well according to Merriam Webster, nappy as in diaper is from 1927. Diaper is from the 14th century meaning "a soft usually white linen or cotton fabric used for tablecloths or towels" so you can see how it came to mean the same thing when used for babies.

As for color and colour, axe and ax, honor and honour, that's all about Noah Webster's dictionary in 1828.

Boot/trunk... coachmen used to keep their boots in a boot locker at the back of a carriage, US carriages had a larger trunk. That carried over to cars. The word "car" comes from carriage.