ande.banner
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Child in Fashion (Book)
Hi everyone.

I have an interesting, if somewhat dog-eared book which I purchased from a charity shop. It is called "The Child in Time" by Doris Langley Moore (Batsford Book, 1953). It features children modelling clothes from  around 1760 to 1934. Some of the clothing is from the Author's collection. Also, two of the child models are Lynn Redgrave and her brother Corin.

There are some nice photographs. For 1905, it features the young David Shilling, standing next to a model yacht whilst dressed in the classic sailor suit. (It is the sort of outfit that I wished I had been forced to wear when I was a boy!).

Some of the girl's dresses are very cute, especially the 1908 one worn by Miss Rosemary Browne, and the 1911 one modelled by Miss Janice Gordon. (For the latter, the Author comments that " A slight glimpse of the underwear was considered 'rather sweet' but the little girls who were expected to provide it".)

But one of the most interesting outfits, is that worn by young Desmond Browne , and is featured as a frontispiece - the only colour illustration in the book. It is a tartan velvet frock, complete with a lace collar. White tights are worn with it, along with red 'ballerina-type' shoes. I think that I would have been on my best behaviour if threatened with wearing it for being naughty. (On second thoughts,m I would have deliberately misbehaved so that I could enjoy the humiliation of being made to put it on!)   Smile
Oh wow, Sissy Leslie, would you happen to have a picture or link you could share of young Desmond Browne in his tartan frock
My favorite:
(Book) (writer: "American Woman" - as Mickey Rourke)

(03-20-2020, 02:55 PM)Sissy Leslie Wrote: Hi everyone.

I have an interesting, if somewhat dog-eared book which I purchased from a charity shop. It is called "The Child in Time" by Doris Langley Moore (Batsford Book, 1953). It features children modelling clothes from  around 1760 to 1934. Some of the clothing is from the Author's collection. Also, two of the child models are Lynn Redgrave and her brother Corin.

There are some nice photographs. For 1905, it features the young David Shilling, standing next to a model yacht whilst dressed in the classic sailor suit. (It is the sort of outfit that I wished I had been forced to wear when I was a boy!).

Some of the girl's dresses are very cute, especially the 1908 one worn by Miss Rosemary Browne, and the 1911 one modelled by Miss Janice Gordon. (For the latter, the Author comments that " A slight glimpse of the underwear was considered 'rather sweet' but the little girls who were expected to provide it".)

But one of the most interesting outfits, is that worn by young Desmond Browne , and is featured as a frontispiece - the only colour illustration in the book. It is a tartan velvet frock, complete with a lace collar. White tights are worn with it, along with red 'ballerina-type' shoes. I think that I would have been on my best behaviour if threatened with wearing it for being naughty. (On second thoughts,m I would have deliberately misbehaved so that I could enjoy the humiliation of being made to put it on!)  Smile

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]"Rabet, Romeo - The Child in Fashion" is an novel by novelist Eiko Kadono about the evolution of a boy into manhood. The book is centered on the family of a man who fell victim to the rich's fantasies, and the effects that the boy's entry into the high-society world might have on him.[/color]