BON4Micro2
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Observations on the Causes of Misogyny
From a recent NY Times editorial:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/opini...ation.html

A clarified excerpt:

In this (Freud's) telling, overbearing mothers routinely emasculated their male children with their nagging and guilting, eventually inspiring a misogynistic backlash among their sons, either in an effort to recover lost dignity or establish a separate masculine identity. As the feminist sociologist Miriam M. Johnson wrote in her 1990 book, "Strong Mothers, Weak Wives": "The devaluation of women (by both women and men) is not an inevitable reaction formation to women’s prominence in early child care. It is a choice."

More familiar to us of the social media era is a type of mother-hatred that emanates primarily from fathers — a particularly noxious jealousy of one’s own children. "I resent my children for stealing my wife’s love," went one confessional essay in the Daily Mail.

In my opinion, Dr. June Stephenson had the correct idea here. Femininity is not a behavioral path limited to girls. If boys embraced femininity from a young age, and viewed femininity as desirable, there would be no form of rebellion, no backlash, and far less violence and tension in our society.
(03-12-2020, 01:23 PM)Conway Wrote: In my opinion, Dr. June Stephenson had the correct idea here. Femininity is not a behavioral path limited to girls. If boys embraced femininity from a young age, and viewed femininity as desirable, there would be no form of rebellion, no backlash, and far less violence and tension in our society.

I totally agree. It’s very hard to change ingrained toxic masculinity. Much better to never let it develop in the first place from birth.
Excellent article, Conway. Thanks!

Here's another, an example of extreme office sexism and mothaer-hostility.

Boy, am I glad he dropped out of Presidential politics.
Stamp out useless scrolling. Click Reply, then press CNTRL (or Command)  + A, then write your reply.

Your obedient servant,

micheleFFS  Cool
(03-12-2020, 01:23 PM)Conway Wrote: From a recent NY Times editorial:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/opini...ation.html

A clarified excerpt:

In this (Freud's) telling, overbearing mothers routinely emasculated their male children with their nagging and guilting, eventually inspiring a misogynistic backlash among their sons, either in an effort to recover lost dignity or establish a separate masculine identity. As the feminist sociologist Miriam M. Johnson wrote in her 1990 book, "Strong Mothers, Weak Wives": "The devaluation of women (by both women and men) is not an inevitable reaction formation to women’s prominence in early child care. It is a choice."

More familiar to us of the social media era is a type of mother-hatred that emanates primarily from fathers — a particularly noxious jealousy of one’s own children. "I resent my children for stealing my wife’s love," went one confessional essay in the Daily Mail.

In my opinion, Dr. June Stephenson had the correct idea here. Femininity is not a behavioral path limited to girls. If boys embraced femininity from a young age, and viewed femininity as desirable, there would be no form of rebellion, no backlash, and far less violence and tension in our society.
Exactly, Conway

If it is all they have ever known and if all the other boys are skipping around in skirts and dresses then they wouldn’t know any better. This is essential not only creating a more equal society but also at preventing wars. Since the last war, the threat of the nuclear option has kept this largely at bay but a part of this has been the memory of the last war being kept alive - when we lose that generation, who knows. Worsening rhetoric recently suggests that moment may be nearing.

The question is can we afford to breed femininity just in new generations or will there come a point when for the good of humanity when boys and men alive today need to have their trousers taken from them and taught the arts of skirts, hosiery , heels, hair and makeup - for the good of humanity?