468x60bon4
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is Scroop?
I'd like to draw your attention to something you've probably come across in a story that you've read from-time-to-time. 

Quote:...She worked it over his head and arms then centered it at his waist.  Once she was certain the petticoat was centered and matched the full slip length she quickly tied the white silk laces into a tight bow at Timmy's back.  The lace edged white taffeta was crisp and gleamed in the light but each movement caused a feminine rustle that was unmistakable.  Madge then gathered the final matching taffeta petticoat and did the same.  Then finally, as Timmy moved to the bed and sat down, his head still spinning he watched as Madge minced on her heels to take the black rayon full skirted house dress down from being on a hanger over the top of the closet door.  He'd watched her pick it out at first not understanding it was ultimately meant for him but as Madge took it from the satin padded hangar and undid the long back zipper he noticed her satisfied smile as she approached the bed, the long gathered dress rustling loudly!

"Mmmmm, lovely. Simply lovely!" Madge beamed as she swished Timmy into the black, short sleeved rayon house dress. The thick shiny rayon and the nylon lining felt heavy on the tailored dress as Madge smoothed it down and out. And then Timmy heard the loud rasping sound as Madge pulled up the long back zipper, he felt the dress swish and tighten around his slips and petticoats and become snug over his tight vintage foundations. And then Madge tightly clipped the hook at the top of neck in back and fastened the zipper. She then clasped and buckled the two inch wide black patent leather waist belt. The belt matching the high patent leather pumps Timmy was still teetering on as she smoothed the dress. All the rayon and nylon and satins swishing and zipping in the perfumed air in the quiet bedroom in the quiet house

...the long gathered dress rustling loudly!... ...The thick shiny rayon and the nylon lining felt heavy on the tailored dress as Madge smoothed it down and out. And then Timmy heard the loud rasping sound as Madge pulled up the long back zipper, he felt the dress swish and tighten around his slips and petticoats and become snug over his tight vintage foundations...

I recently purchased a grey taffeta skirt, which rustles quite loudly when I walk in it. Just as in the dress mentioned in the above story, the skirt also has a rayon lining which enhances the rustling sound, especially when I walk about the room.

I just had to know why taffeta rustles so I went and googled "why does taffeta rustle" and was amazed to find there is a word for it.  How many of you know that the term used to describe that swishing, rustling sound is called scroop? I must admit I had never heard of the word.

Highlight the text with your cursor and then copy and paste to the address bar of your browser.

Code:
http://thedreamstress.com/2012/11/terminology-what-is-scroop/

Quote:A characteristic rustling or crunching sound acquired by silk that has been immersed in solutions of acetic or tartaric acid and dried without rinsing. It is probably caused by acid micro-crystals in the fibers rubbing against each other. It is also the rustle that certain fabrics such as silk taffeta have. 

Code:
http://www.fabricdictionary.com/scroop/547/scroop.html
[Image: tumblr-p5yxgne-XUJ1wmd742o1-641.png]

AJ, This is sooooo cool. Luv it when we learn about our favorite things and discover more info. Esoteric, to be sure, i suspect the word when spoken, sounds like what it describes.
What delicious prose. I'm not familiar with that particular story. Could you please provide the story title and site you found it on? Many thanks.