satban
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old fashioned leather toddler harnesses.
(06-02-2016, 06:51 PM)mikki Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 05:22 PM)Sissyjj. Wrote: Has anyone memories of being tightly harnessed over diapers/nappies, rubbers and other baby garments? 

I had the "pleasure" of having to wear baby safety harnesses at different times in my youth.  My mother was a firm believer in them.  Just when I thought I'd outgrown mine, something would happen, and I'd find myself in a new one.  They were a constant feature during my pre-school years, to keep me in the yard and away from the many attractive nuisances in my neighborhood.  By first grade, its use had diminished, to the point where I thought I had outgrown it.  

Then, soon after second grade started, my family moved across country, and my mother got me a new one, "for my own safety," as she put it.  I had to wear it in the car, and be on a leash whenever we stopped.  I was also diapered during that trip, too, as I had a previous history of wetting in the back seat.  My mother continued to put me in the harness for many months in our new neighborhood.  

Later, after I got in some serious trouble, at age 10,  my mother decided I couldn't be trusted to be unsupervised, and got me another one.  She brought me to a shoe-maker shop, where an old lady fashioned one just for me, from leather, while we waited.  I was in diapers, rubber pants and buster-brown sandals, and can remember the shame and humiliation as I stood there while she measured and fit each part, and sewed them together on her industrial sewing machine.  That one had locking buckles in the back, and D-rings for a leash.  I spent most of that summer harnessed to one of the many trees in our back yard, also diapered.  

Later, when I was 13, the summer between 8th grade and high school, I was again to find myself being fitted up for another harness.  This one was of a more commercial nature, of nylon webbing, two straps around my chest, two over my shoulders, a crotch strap, and a locking zipper in the back.  I "earned" that one after I refused to obey the neighborhood girl my mother had engaged to be my day-time baby-sitter for the summer, as mommy was fully occupied with caring for my baby sister.  And once again, I got to spend the summer mostly harnessed to a clothesline pole in the baby-sitter's back yard, again in diapers and rubber pants.  It certainly took all of the "big boy" right out of me.  I can still remember the hopeless, sinking feeling I had, as I stood there to be fitted for that one.

That is amazing and terribly humiliating. I was harnessed with a canvas web harness when I was young and we were someplace crowded with people or someplace like a park where I might run away or cross a busy street without looking. The leash attached to the back and was around 4 or 5 feet long. I think by the time I was around 6 or 7 my step mom stopped using it, but in a crowd she would tell me: Stick close to me and don't wander away or the gypsies will take you. Personally even then I thought that might be interesting, particularly since I had never met a gypsy. Later, I did a paper in college on gypsies and found out that ethnologists think they may have begun in India many centuries ago. At least that was one theory proposed. Don't know about now Heart .
Angry "Why you naughty little sissy!!! Bring me a fresh diaper and then fetch the paddle!!!"  Angry
It was incredibly humiliating, to say the least.  It also made me feel completely helpless.  But I think that was the intended result.  The older I got, the more strict and controlling mommy seemed to get. I was frequently prompted to "ask" to be put in my harness -- "Don't you want to be nice and safe in your harness, Little Boy?" ...or words to that effect. Mommy was always prompting me to assent to what she was doing with me. I knew much better than to answer any other way than affirmatively.  

Humiliation of children was an widely accepted and prevalent child-rearing philosophy in the '50s and '60s.  In many circles, a parent who DIDN'T humiliate their children was considered negligent.  
(12-13-2016, 05:50 PM)mikki Wrote: Humiliation of children was an widely accepted and prevalent child-rearing philosophy in the '50s and '60s.  In many circles, a parent who DIDN'T humiliate their children was considered negligent.  

I understand this completely, it carried on into the 70's and really wasn't starting to go away until the 80's and 90's. This seemed to be some of my mother's thinking for using my sister's old dresses and skirts on me when I wasn't out of diapers as young as she had hoped. Not to mention making me carry my diapers for bedwetting myself, and letting everyone who might be in earshot know who they were for.
(12-13-2016, 10:41 PM)Richardto Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 05:50 PM)mikki Wrote: Humiliation of children was an widely accepted and prevalent child-rearing philosophy in the '50s and '60s.  In many circles, a parent who DIDN'T humiliate their children was considered negligent.  

I understand this completely, it carried on into the 70's and really wasn't starting to go away until the 80's and 90's. This seemed to be some of my mother's thinking for using my sister's old dresses and skirts on me when I wasn't out of diapers as young as she had hoped. Not to mention making me carry my diapers for bedwetting myself, and letting everyone who might be in earshot know who they were for.
You are so right. Shaming children into appropriate behavior has always been the norm until recent years. Even in non-domestic situations, like school, part of the reason why a child (like me!) was sent  occasionally to the corner, or it was announced by teacher that i was to stay after school to write "x xxxx  xxx xxxx xx xxxxx" on the blackboard 100x's, or paddled at the front of the room or in the hall or cloakroom, so that every child could hear the swats and crying was to shame me or others, as much as to punish us. It didn't happen all the time, but it happened. And do you know what? It worked! There IS a place for a modest amount of shaming and/or spanking in children's lives to get them to behave in acceptable ways.  When i compare the behavior of schoolchildren now to when i was in school many years ago there IS NO comparison. And i was in classes with 40+ boys and girls sitting at ancient bolted down desks (with inkwells!) in rows and columns with one teacher for all of us. No air conditioning, incandescant lighting, wooden floors, blackout shades left over from WWII, and a Regulator clock near the door of every classroom. And do you know what? When we were working on our arithmetic (the name for it then) problems, or doing our handwriting exercises, most of the time you could hear a pin drop! Angel Like i said, there IS a place for a moderate amount of shaming and punishment.  Heart Exclamation
Angry "Why you naughty little sissy!!! Bring me a fresh diaper and then fetch the paddle!!!"  Angry
(12-15-2016, 02:16 AM)kerri Wrote:

You are so right. Shaming children into appropriate behavior has always been the norm until recent years. Even in non-domestic situations, like school, part of the reason why a child (like me!) was sent  occasionally to the corner, or it was announced by teacher that i was to stay after school to write "x xxxx  xxx xxxx xx xxxxx" on the blackboard 100x's, or paddled at the front of the room or in the hall or cloakroom, so that every child could hear the swats and crying was to shame me or others, as much as to punish us. It didn't happen all the time, but it happened. And do you know what? It worked! There IS a place for a modest amount of shaming and/or spanking in children's lives to get them to behave in acceptable ways.  When i compare the behavior of schoolchildren now to when i was in school many years ago there IS NO comparison. And i was in classes with 40+ boys and girls sitting at ancient bolted down desks (with inkwells!) in rows and columns with one teacher for all of us. No air conditioning, incandescant lighting, wooden floors, blackout shades left over from WWII, and a Regulator clock near the door of every classroom. And do you know what? When we were working on our arithmetic (the name for it then) problems, or doing our handwriting exercises, most of the time you could hear a pin drop! Angel  Like i said, there IS a place for a moderate amount of shaming and punishment.  Heart Exclamation
Well said. We need this type of classroom back as kids today have no direction and no respect for anybody.
(12-17-2016, 04:35 PM)minisissyboy Wrote: I think that is an unfair generalisation.  Yes some kids are badly behaved, but the majority are hard working and decent.  Shame and humiliation has no part in education.

You must have attended a wonderful school. Was it private, parochial, or public? If it was the former two, then your education was being paid for, and that tends to attract more well-behaved children. I am speaking of the all of the children in all of the schools where education is publicly funded and children do not necessarily come from families where education is valued and treasured. We must have educated children to have educated citizens when they are grown. Many schools now are like borstals. Little respect for teachers, for education, or even for each other. And i can tell you from personal experience that the decline was accelerated when the use of the paddle in school was seriously restricted or abolished entirely. Frankly, the only reason why some children from derelict families behaved themselves in school was out of fear of receiving a painful paddling. For education to be carried on, and for children to learn, there must be order in a schoolroom. Moderate (not extreme) corporal punishment and shaming is sometimes the only way to maintain that order. It is no different than the greater society, as a whole. Why do criminals hide their faces when they do the "perp walk"? Why do law enforcement agencies publish and post the names and photos of "deadbeat dads" and "johns" who commerce with prostitutes? Why do they accompany accounts in the Sunday paper's police blotter section with mug shots of the offender? It is to shame them, and by extension their families. Therefore, hoping to provide deterrence. One of the greatest sins a child of Japan can commit is to bring shame to his/her family. That is why discipline is instillled in the home and school beginning at a young age. I firmly believe children deserve a hearty pat on the back for a job well done, and just as hearty a  smack on the bottom for laziness and deliberate misbehavior. I am not trying to change your mind, but i am offering you my opinion based on practical experience and and having lived through very different eras.
(12-15-2016, 10:48 AM)clothbaby Wrote:
(12-15-2016, 02:16 AM)kerri Wrote:

You are so right. Shaming children into appropriate behavior has always been the norm until recent years. Even in non-domestic situations, like school, part of the reason why a child (like me!) was sent  occasionally to the corner, or it was announced by teacher that i was to stay after school to write "x xxxx  xxx xxxx xx xxxxx" on the blackboard 100x's, or paddled at the front of the room or in the hall or cloakroom, so that every child could hear the swats and crying was to shame me or others, as much as to punish us. It didn't happen all the time, but it happened. And do you know what? It worked! There IS a place for a modest amount of shaming and/or spanking in children's lives to get them to behave in acceptable ways.  When i compare the behavior of schoolchildren now to when i was in school many years ago there IS NO comparison. And i was in classes with 40+ boys and girls sitting at ancient bolted down desks (with inkwells!) in rows and columns with one teacher for all of us. No air conditioning, incandescant lighting, wooden floors, blackout shades left over from WWII, and a Regulator clock near the door of every classroom. And do you know what? When we were working on our arithmetic (the name for it then) problems, or doing our handwriting exercises, most of the time you could hear a pin drop! Angel  Like i said, there IS a place for a moderate amount of shaming and punishment.  Heart Exclamation
Well said. We need this type of classroom back as kids today have no direction and no respect for anybody.
How times have moved on, Sometimes for and at other times not always for the better, I attended state schools from 1966 till 1975 the cane was still in use up until I left school, and some teachers had their own unique ways of meeting out discipline, our English teacher when I was around age 12/13yrs kept a couple of babies dummies in his desk draw, and if anyone decided to talk in his class when they ought to be listening or concentrating he would make the person or persons responsible, sit out the rest of the lesson with one in their mouth, sounds unbelievable but this did happen to a few people in his class, which makes me wonder now, knowing what I do, was he getting some sort of personal deviant gratification out of it ..
(10-17-2016, 01:05 AM)bfar1 Wrote: I wore a brown leather harness out in the yard  from age 6  up to age 10. Lots of memories. Would be glad to share them with anyone interested

Bill S

Did you wear diapers?
O...  the joys the shame, and the restriction of freedom that such an item can conjure upon the former delinquent male subject  ..!

That's another delightful picture!

Restraint and restriction of movement is, I think, an important element of petticoating and forced babying.

Putting a boy into a skirt or dress, especially if he has panties on too, inevitably restricts his movement. I know when I was made to wear a skirt and knickers as a child I was terrified that people would see my knickers, so I was extra careful when I moved or sat down. The result was that I ended up walking and sitting like a girl.

Similarly being put back into nappies and plastic baby panties meant that the thickness of my nappy round my bottom and between my legs made it impossible to walk normaly. And I was so worried about anyone seeing the bulk of my nappy or hearing the crinkling of my plastic panties that I found myself walking very stiffly and unnaturally.

Whether it was knickers or nappies, I was restrained by having to wear them.