Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ammonia in your nappies / diapers to start off rashes?
I read once that some pour household ammonia into nappies / diapers first, to start off nappy / diaper rash quickly and make it very sore.

Has anyone tried this, and do you have any hints or tips?

Patty
(11-19-2017, 11:23 PM)Patty Botty Wrote: I read once that some pour household ammonia into nappies / diapers first, to start off nappy / diaper rash quickly and make it very sore.

Has anyone tried this, and do you have any hints or tips?

Patty
You can get really bad chemical burns that way .
Angel A little bit of hanky panky does you good .  Angel
You are violating basic rules of chemistry - READ THE LABELS - in some cases if the burning rash doesn't get you the toxic fumes will !
Now back to peeing in my unadulterated nappy - home sweet home.
Isn't a nappy rash a chemical burn?

I agree it sounded to harsh to me, but the article said that some ABDLs did do it to start the rash off, as it is the ammonia from soiled nappies that actually causes the rash.  So I could understand what they were getting at, but still ... I would not risk it without knowing it was OK.  But the shops sell it in different strengths, so I don't know.

Patty
(12-01-2017, 09:09 AM)Patty Botty Wrote: Isn't a nappy rash a chemical burn?

I agree it sounded to harsh to me, but the article said that some ABDLs did do it to start the rash off, as it is the ammonia from soiled nappies that actually causes the rash.  So I could understand what they were getting at, but still ... I would not risk it without knowing it was OK.  But the shops sell it in different strengths, so I don't know.

Patty

Yes, nappy rash is essentially a burn from prolonged exposure to the relatively MILD ammonia into which urea waste decomposes.  The natural oils on your skin will act as a barrier for a while, but the ammonia will eventually break them down and attack the skin, resulting in a painful rash.  

But household ammonia, typically sold as a cleaning product, is a totally different and much stronger, with a significantly higher pH.  Household ammonia, with a pH around 11.0, strongly basic, will quickly break down the natural oils on the skin, and will induce severe burns, especially on your sensitive parts.  Anyone who tries this "trick" will quickly regret it, for some time afterwards.  

Summary: Don't try this at home.  Don't try this ANYWHERE!