ande.banner
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seen in the news .
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/barrow-furness...28119.html
Angel A little bit of hanky panky does you good .  Angel
I wonder if there's more to the story?  Was the footballer a random selection or might he have earned discipline for some typically male behavior?  If so, what kind of behavior on his part would justify illegal revenge like this?
(01-30-2017, 01:50 PM)Bill Wrote: https://uk.yahoo.com/news/barrow-furness...28119.html

A Yank asks how in the world did the place come to be named Barrow-in-Furness?

A wheelbarrow covered in pubic hair? Big Grin

A wheelbarrow used as fuel for central heating? Tongue
Stamp out useless scrolling! To reply to posts, click Reply, then Control (or Command) + A, then start typing. Or, to focus on one part of a previous post, delete the unneeded sections, then reply. Add a similar message to your .sig if you like.

Your forum maid,

ModeratorM Cool
Both "Barrow" and "Furness" are old Viking names and have origins to when the Norseman invaded in 800/900 AD. The Furness peninsula is a spit of land just south of the famous Lake District in Cumbria. Barrow is the main provincial town that sits at the foot of this peninsula. Hence Barrow-in-Furness....also famous for building Trident Nuclear Submarines and for the 2nd largest Cisternian monastery after Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire...unfortunately both wrecked by Henry VIII...

Nothing to do with wheelbarrows, pubic hair or central heating...although all funny :-)
(01-31-2017, 03:39 PM)Sissy Matthew Wrote: Both "Barrow" and "Furness" are old Viking names and have origins to when the Norseman invaded in 800/900 AD. The Furness peninsula is a spit of land just south of the famous Lake District in Cumbria. Barrow is the main provincial town that sits at the foot of this peninsula. Hence Barrow-in-Furness....also famous for building Trident Nuclear Submarines and for the 2nd largest Cisternian monastery after Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire...unfortunately both wrecked by Henry VIII...

Nothing to do with wheelbarrows, pubic hair or central heating...although all funny :-)

Thanks, Matthew for such a prompt and informative reply. So was the original barrow likely a burial?
Stamp out useless scrolling. Click Reply, then press CNTRL (or Command)  + A, then write your reply.

Your obedient servant,

micheleFFS  Cool
Unlikely....even though I see what you're getting at.

"Barrows", as a term used for ancient burial sites, are all over the UK...many are mounds/hills that are classed as "earthworks" and can be seen from the air. Examples can be found around areas such as Stonehenge and Aylesbury etc...

The only thing that was buried around Barrow-in-Furness was Iron Ore...hence the rise of shipbuilding during the Industrial Revolution.

Sissy Matthew xxx

(Acting geographer, historian and archaelogist :-) )
I decided it's useless to pursue Brit names for things when I first stumbled over Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.
Welsh is a different game altogether
England's postal codes make no sense to me, a Yank. They are stranger, even, than those of Canada. On the other hand, i was listening to BBC Overnight and the newspeople were scratching their heads over our political use of "fiilbustering". Sauce for the goose; sauce for the gander. (I can't begin to imagine why English as a Second Laguage students would have any problem at all with our idiomatic expressions. For Pete's sake, they're clear as mud, right?
Angry "Why you naughty little sissy!!! Bring me a fresh diaper and then fetch the paddle!!!"  Angry
Strangely enough I didn't know what "filibuster" meant either...

But then again it took me years to work out that when people from the US say "period" they mean "full stop".