Petticoat Discipline Quarterly Forum

Full Version: Started with hand-me-downs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wonder how many were started on their course by wearing hand-me-downs. With me, back in the 1950's I was a couple of years younger than my sister who was of course my parents favorite. She got all the new clothes she wanted while her old clothes ended up in my drawers and closet. Mostly it was just slacks and shorts or short sets and tops. I just wore what I was told and if I objected I found myself over my mother's knee getting a good spanking. On occasion I would be put into a dress when we had visitors or on vacation and travelling. No one made an issue out of it and I had seen other boys in our neighborhood in the same circumstance as myself. Hand-me-downs were not too uncommon and were pretty generic for the most part. 
I was nine at the time when I was given a very feminine short set to wear. It was a peach color with ruffles or gathers around the legs and arms. I threw a tantrum and told my mother I was not going to wear something so girly. She was furious and pulled me over her knee and gave me one of the worst spankings I had ever had. I screamed and cried as I was marched to my room where she had a very frilly sun dress of my sisters and she made me put it on. Her words were, so the shorts were too girly so how do you like this dress. I was then given a pair of white sandals and sent out to play. I felt so ashamed and humiliated as all my playmates made fun of me. 
To make a long story a little shorter, I spent the rest of that summer in dresses and when swimming I had to wear a girls one piece. When I went back to school in the Fall  when I came home I was made to change from my slacks into a dress. Of course by this time I was wearing panties and as the weather cooled down I wore long cotton stockings with a garter harness. 
From then onward when living at home I was under some form of petticoating. Actually I learned to like it and became a proper sissy and with the insistence of my wonderful wife now live in a role reversal relationship where I am the stay at home housekeeper and wear proper women's clothing 24/7.
It being the start of your feminine personality is probably true. But if it wasn't there by nature I don't think you'd feel the same way. I remeber bring very "embarrassed" if I were to wear something at all that was loud and girlish as a child. My protests though we're mostly out of fear that someone new that I really enjoyed it.
I got hand-me-downs from my girl cousins. It was after my aunt had suggested to my mom that she dress in dresses because of my inability to walk. My aunt also referred to me as a sissy from then on. If we went to her home it wouldn't be long until she would have me in the most girlish dresses possible, some with attached petticoats (it was in the early 1960s). I actually liked the dresses better then my pants and I absolutely refused to wear jeans.
(08-27-2016, 09:20 PM)mellonman Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2016, 08:13 PM)JoanieB Wrote: [ -> ]It being the start of your feminine personality is probably true. But if it wasn't there by nature I don't think you'd feel the same way. I remeber bring very "embarrassed" if I were to wear something at all that was loud and girlish as a child. My protests though we're mostly out of fear that someone new that I really enjoyed it.
=============================================================

Nature or nurture, that is the question.  My guess, and it is only a guess is that nurture is the main contributor.  A discussion on the topic is to complicated for this board.  The anecdotal evidence on this board thru stories told by the many contributors may shed light, we'll see how that unfolds.  The bottomline is that it happens.  I just don't like it being forced on anyone, especially when those doing the forcing probably aren't all that intelligent.   
The question is nature or nurture. (I'm pro nature with the idea that society nurtures discontent in some) It is also, personal expression or social constructs. Your right of course about whether this is the place for it or not. But I do believe it is a discussion that society needs to have. You mention force. Did we force pants on girls? Did we force our daughters to play football or excell in collegiate classes so they can be CEOs of large companies? Many women demanded the casting off of social stigma by forcing society to let them play in a "man's world" at the discust of a traditional society. I don't want to see a child forced into anything. Well perhaps eating healthy and doing thier home work if they object. Many people resist things that aren't socially acceptable. Socially acceptable or unacceptable aren't always righteous standards.

(08-28-2016, 12:34 AM)minisissyboy Wrote: [ -> ]It is unfortunate that boys who get to wear skirts and dresses have the pejorative "Sissy" attached to them.  But why, I think it takes strength of character to stand out as different and survive the experience.  Also I still have not read a clear answer as to why an item of clothing feminises someone.  We do not talk about girls turning masculine because they happen to wear jeans.  They seem to be able to wear what they like and quite right to ( At least in western democratic society).  So why can't men have the same rights regarding dress.  Personally I think it is more a state of mind then outward attire that influences our behaviour with the old question regarding nature or nurture.

The word sissy I guess means different things to different people. I'm not of the type who likes or likes to see anyone degraded. But I know many find comfort or release in some forms of humiliation. Being thought of a sissy does that for them. To me "sissy" short for "sister" was just something everyone called my aunt.

(08-27-2016, 08:45 PM)melodie Wrote: [ -> ]I got hand-me-downs from my girl cousins.  It was after my aunt had suggested to my mom that she dress in dresses because of my inability to walk.  My aunt also referred to me as a sissy from then on.  If we went to her home it wouldn't be long until she would have me in the most girlish dresses possible, some with attached petticoats (it was in the early 1960s).  I actually liked the dresses better then my pants and I absolutely refused to wear jeans.

My youngest aunt is only four years older then I, we were more like siblings growing up. (I stayed and my grandmothers after school. It was in the late fifties early sixties. (Mini skirts were a later trend in her highschool years) I so wished I'd have gotten all her adolescent hand me downs".
(08-28-2016, 01:25 PM)mellonman Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Joanie B 
Could you turn on your PM's, for sometimes it's easier to use the PM system then the message board.  You and I don't disagree all that much but perhaps we have slightly different definitions of some terms.

Could you turn on your PM's, for sometimes it's easier to use the PM system then the message board.  You and I don't disagree all that much but perhaps we have slightly different definitions of some terms.
I got your PM Joanie B but since your PM isn't switched on I'm unable to reply.  You probably have to go into your personal settings to change that.

I've sent you a message.

I got your PM Joanie B but since your PM isn't switched on I'm unable to reply.  You probably have to go into your personal settings to change that.

Sorry, I'll look
(08-28-2016, 11:05 AM)JoanieB Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2016, 09:20 PM)mellonman Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2016, 08:13 PM)JoanieB Wrote: [ -> ]It being the start of your feminine personality is probably true. But if it wasn't there by nature I don't think you'd feel the same way. I remeber bring very "embarrassed" if I were to wear something at all that was loud and girlish as a child. My protests though we're mostly out of fear that someone new that I really enjoyed it.
=============================================================

Nature or nurture, that is the question.  My guess, and it is only a guess is that nurture is the main contributor.  A discussion on the topic is to complicated for this board.  The anecdotal evidence on this board thru stories told by the many contributors may shed light, we'll see how that unfolds.  The bottomline is that it happens.  I just don't like it being forced on anyone, especially when those doing the forcing probably aren't all that intelligent.   
The question is nature or nurture. (I'm pro nature with the idea that society nurtures discontent in some) It is also, personal expression or social constructs. Your right of course about whether this is the place for it or not. But I do believe it is a discussion that society needs to have. You mention force. Did we force pants on girls? Did we force our daughters to play football or excell in collegiate classes so they can be CEOs of large companies? Many women demanded the casting off of social stigma by forcing society to let them play in a "man's world" at the discust of a traditional society. I don't want to see a child forced into anything. Well perhaps eating healthy and doing thier home work if they object. Many people resist things that aren't socially acceptable. Socially acceptable or unacceptable aren't always righteous standards.

(08-28-2016, 12:34 AM)minisissyboy Wrote: [ -> ]It is unfortunate that boys who get to wear skirts and dresses have the pejorative "Sissy" attached to them.  But why, I think it takes strength of character to stand out as different and survive the experience.  Also I still have not read a clear answer as to why an item of clothing feminises someone.  We do not talk about girls turning masculine because they happen to wear jeans.  They seem to be able to wear what they like and quite right to ( At least in western democratic society).  So why can't men have the same rights regarding dress.  Personally I think it is more a state of mind then outward attire that influences our behaviour with the old question regarding nature or nurture.

The word sissy I guess means different things to different people. I'm not of the type who likes or likes to see anyone degraded. But I know many find comfort or release in some forms of humiliation. Being thought of a sissy does that for them. To me "sissy" short for "sister" was just something everyone called my aunt.

(08-27-2016, 08:45 PM)melodie Wrote: [ -> ]I got hand-me-downs from my girl cousins.  It was after my aunt had suggested to my mom that she dress in dresses because of my inability to walk.  My aunt also referred to me as a sissy from then on.  If we went to her home it wouldn't be long until she would have me in the most girlish dresses possible, some with attached petticoats (it was in the early 1960s).  I actually liked the dresses better then my pants and I absolutely refused to wear jeans.

My youngest aunt is only four years older then I, we were more like siblings growing up. (I stayed and my grandmothers after school. It was in the late fifties early sixties. (Mini skirts were a later trend in her highschool years) I so wished I'd have gotten all her adolescent hand me downs".
That was the time to have hand-me-downs, roll-on girdles to attach stockings, big crinoline petticoats and full skirted dresses complemented by stiletto shoes. The thrilling rustling of the underskirt and cotton sateen dress, the swish as you crossed your nyloned legs and the clicking heels on the pavement. 1958 to 1962 heaven.
Would never have guessed we'd get to a nature vs nurture discussion on this thread topic. Ahhhh, the wondrous internet. I would have to vote for nature being the determining factor in how an individual responds to external stimuli. As I believe JoanieB wrote, "But if it [a feminine personality] wasn't there by nature I don't think you'd feel the same way." This is a great summary of my belief that punishing a boy by putting him in girl's clothes, while an effective tool to discourage bad behavior, will not cause that boy to become a willing gurl, loving the soft pretty clothes, no matter how long the punishment period and regardless of the "love" showered on the boy by the mother.

However, if the boy has a conscious or unconscious inclination toward the feminine, this form of punishment might be just the push needed to justify the boy's dressing and development of a feminine personality. I would then venture the boy's behavior is really acting out over his frustration in not being able to adequately pursue his feminine side. In this case, the nature will merge with nurture and a happier individual will result.
As someone who is frugal, I've shopped at thrift stores for all of my clothes (male and Female), so I guess you could say they are "hand-me-downs."
I started with 'hand me ups'!

My sister is two years younger than me, but I got put into her clothes as a punishment when I was a child. That's how it all started for me.

I still enjoy dressing young and I'm sure that was due to being made to wear skirts and dresses that were too short for me, and panties that were frilly, like little girls wear.
I thought the nature v nuture story ended with the male twins in Canada years ago.Without going into the whole story again due to an accident at birth one of the boys was brought up as agirl. In later life he switched to living as a male and later commited suicide.This proves you can not force a boy to be agirl unless like me he must have been born with more female hormones than some rough tough yob who will never know the joy of make up and female undies.