Petticoat Discipline Quarterly Forum

Full Version: Diapers as punishment 1960s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Up until the point I discovered PDQ, a decade ago, I had always considered diapers/rubber pants used for incontinence/nocturnal enuresis. In fact, while working in a nursing home, I found out about adult-sized items like this. I would help change them, and later on, shopped the hospital supply shops. 1980s. Huh
As I have posted earlier, while growing up in the 1950s/1960s, it was common to have a night wetter, of any age, in cotton diapers/rubber pants. I have had quite a few pen-pals around my age (60) who wore them at night until they stopped.
I can see why it would be a practical way of dealing with this problem. Especially if it happened often.
One friend told me about how his Mother would take him to Woolworths to buy his extra-large plastic pants often. Sometimes, the selection would be sparse, so he figured many Mothers used them for their older wetters.
Diapers were rarely used as punishment. Although there was the inevitable teasing and name-calling. 'Sissy Bed-Wetter!'
I've forgotten how I discovered PDQ, but that's when I first read about diapers/baby clothes used as punishment/behavior modification.
One of the first letters I saw told of a woman who would use PP/DD on her children and relatives. This was way back, during my childhood era. I suppose it wasn't unusual then. The letter was written by the receiver. He considered his two cousins the biggest sissies in the county because of her methods.
Eventually, he was sent to live with her to straighten him up.
The first thing she did was put him in cotton diapers and blue plastic pants, and made him go potty in them, front and back. After a couple of days of this, she presented him with an ultimatum. A choice between diapers or frilly girls' clothes. Clever. She managed to make him choose to wear sissy things, instead of wearing yucky baby pants!
I was amazed at first, but when I read more PDQ, I discovered the long history of this method.
It was embarrassing enough being a bed-wetter. The threat of rubber pants even worse. I can't imagine how it would have been like to go any further! Huh
(03-10-2018, 06:52 AM)BabyWawwy Wrote: [ -> ]Up until the point I discovered PDQ, a decade ago, I had always considered diapers/rubber pants used for incontinence/nocturnal enuresis. In fact, while working in a nursing home, I found out about adult-sized items like this. I would help change them, and later on, shopped the hospital supply shops. 1980s. Huh
As I have posted earlier, while growing up in the 1950s/1960s, it was common to have a night wetter, of any age, in cotton diapers/rubber pants. I have had quite a few pen-pals around my age (60) who wore them at night until they stopped.
I can see why it would be a practical way of dealing with this problem. Especially if it happened often.
One friend told me about how his Mother would take him to Woolworths to buy his extra-large plastic pants often. Sometimes, the selection would be sparse, so he figured many Mothers used them for their older wetters.
Diapers were rarely used as punishment. Although there was the inevitable teasing and name-calling. 'Sissy Bed-Wetter!'
I've forgotten how I discovered PDQ, but that's when I first read about diapers/baby clothes used as punishment/behavior modification.
One of the first letters I saw told of a woman who would use PP/DD on her children and relatives. This was way back, during my childhood era. I suppose it wasn't unusual then. The letter was written by the receiver. He considered his two cousins the biggest sissies in the county because of her methods.
The first thing she did was put him in cotton diapers and blue plastic pants, and made him go potty in them, front and back. After a couple of days of this, she presented him with an ultimatum. A choice between diapers or frilly girls' clothes. Clever. She managed to make him choose to wear sissy things, instead of wearing yucky baby pants!
I was amazed at first, but when I read more PDQ, I discovered the long history of this method.
It was embarrassing enough being a bed-wetter. The threat of rubber pants even worse. I can't imagine how it would have been like to go any further! Huh

I regularly got put in diapers and rubber panties as both punishment and for "just in case..." as an older child in the '50s and '60s, well into my teen years.  At that time, there were only cloth diapers.  Mommy was partial to Curity 20x40 gauze diapers, which could easily be folded to fit an older child.  She also liked Playtex rubber panties for me, though at some point started putting me in plastic panties.  

It was pretty hard to conceal thick cloth diapers and rubber panties.  Quite often, as in the summer, I didn't get any pants over them; mommy felt that thick diapers and rubber panties were more than enough.  It was always embarrassing, excruciatingly so!  
(03-10-2018, 05:09 PM)mikki Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2018, 06:52 AM)BabyWawwy Wrote: [ -> ]Up until the point I discovered PDQ, a decade ago, I had always considered diapers/rubber pants used for incontinence/nocturnal enuresis. In fact, while working in a nursing home, I found out about adult-sized items like this. I would help change them, and later on, shopped the hospital supply shops. 1980s. Huh

I regularly got put in diapers and rubber panties as both punishment and for "just in case..." as an older child in the '50s and '60s, well into my teen years.  At that time, there were only cloth diapers.  Mommy was partial to Curity 20x40 gauze diapers, which could easily be folded to fit an older child.  She also liked Playtex rubber panties for me, though at some point started putting me in plastic panties.  

It was pretty hard to conceal thick cloth diapers and rubber panties.  Quite often, as in the summer, I didn't get any pants over them; mommy felt that thick diapers and rubber panties were more than enough.  It was always embarrassing, excruciatingly so!  
Were you a regular bed-wetter like me? How often did you have to wear them as punishment? I remember latex rubber baby panties, for sure. Probably, the most common kind in the 1950s. I wore them as a baby.
Running around with no big boy pants on over them must have been awkward, especially as an older boy. I would have been much too embarrassed to go outside. Or perhaps your Mom insisted you play outside anyway.
I was embarrassed when my friends saw my rubber sheet on laundry day. I can't imagine what it must have been like to have friends see me in daytime diapers.
One thing I've noticed about PDQ is the word 'loving'.
I had contact with a guy who was born in 45, now deceased, and was raised by his widowed aunt from around the age of 10. When he first went to live with her he was expected to dress himself, once shown how, in a cloth nappy and rubber pants which he was also responsible for washing and drying and was permitted one morning and one evening change so he had to be careful about how much and when he'd drink.